The Hope and Prison Ministry of Midwest Bible Church is a volunteer program to assist inmates with family correspondence and contacts. We assist with family busing service for those who have no means of transportation to see loved ones in prison.
The Hope and Prison Ministry (HPM) sprung out of the “Free Bert Berrios Committee” and is very active. Operational since October 2011, HPM has held monthly meetings at Midwest Bible Church and reports directly to the Pastor.
HPM is operational at Dixon Correctional Center through Bert’s ongoing internal work. He also prepares a monthly newsletter for HPM which is distributed and appears on Facebook.
- The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world.
- 70% of the prisoners are non-violent and can benefit from community-based programs.
- Illinois is one of the few states that does not have a parole system.
- Illinois switched from a Rehabilitation Model to a Crime and Punishment Model.
- Illinois is seriously in the red and must address its huge prison population status.
- Chicago has the highest gang populations.
- Gangs recruit within the school system for membership.
- Gangs are the #1 traffickers of drugs.
- Most gang-bangers become involved as drug users and wind up in prison.
- We are all affected by the above facts.
- The Church is called as the spiritual source to combat this epidemic.
Are You and Will You Get Involved?
For more information about HPM, click here.